Being a mum is hard. Living with chronic pain is hard. What happens when you’re waking up to both? Everyday.
Having a morning routine has been essential for me, especially when my girls were younger. Things are a little easier now that they are that little bit older and we are homeschooling. But having some kind of routine/plan helps so much.
This is what has worked for me to be as mum ready in the mornings as I could be with chronic pain.
- Have all necessary medications ready in weekly pill box to take first thing and as needed.
- Have my heat pack ready to go.
- Prepare cup of tea/coffee.
- Get comfy – for me that is set up with my cuppa, heat pack and iPhone/iPad in my recliner so I can try and relax and wake up while my pain medications kick in (usually browsing the internet or watching Netflix)
- When able and ready, do my morning stretches set out by a physiotherapist.
For me, personally, if I don’t do these things at least 1 hour before my girls wake up, I would struggle to tend to their needs, if at all. Hubby leaves early for work, so it is essential that I maintain my morning routine as much as I can.
What do you do to make your mornings easier?